Sunday 1 May 2016

Effects Of Visafone - MTN Migration On Users: The Good And The Bad

I recently published an article about the Visafone-MTN migration, how MTN has converted visafone from a CDMA network to a GSM network.

While I was writing my previous post(the one before this one), I saw the post which I had earlier written about migration and I started to imagine how the migration affected Visafone users then I realized that it actually affected them in a lot of ways.

Mtn visafone migration

 The migration affects users in a good way and in a bad way, I will be listing two of these effects in this post, one for both sides.

I know the topic of this post sounds like an Economics WAEC question.....lol... I'm sorry that was the best I could come up with.

Without wasting more of your time, I shall dive into the details.

Problem With Recharge Cards - The migration has saved users the trouble of searching for recharge cards like the finals of the gulder ultimate search...lol. I know that sounded funny but really it isn't, if you use Visafone then you will understand what I mean.

I recall some time last year, someone asked me to buy a visafone voucher for him(N500 to be precise). I thought it was going to be an easy task you know, just go out and buy it right?
However, it was after several minutes of searching that I managed to come back with N300 worth of voucher.
Now, with the Visafone - MTN migration, Users can easily recharge their devices with MTN recharge cards which are more than abundant and easy to get through out the country.

The bad part is;
Most Visafone devices have been rendered useless - Looking at the FAQ section of the visafone migration page(No 18 to be precise), it stated;



Since Visafone SIM are CDMA compatible, will my existing CDMA devices or handset work with the MTN SIM? 
No, MTN SIMs will only work with a GSM compatible device or handset. However, some CDMA devices or handset are compatible with GSM SIMs.
What this means is that a lot of visafone devices would not support the new MTN SIMs since they're all CDMA devices and this results in a lot of money wasted! Some visafone devices might work with the new SIMs if it supports both GSM and CDMA networks like their Navtech K330 and Blackberry Bold 9930.

For example, I have two visafone modems sadly both of them support only CDMA networks so there's nothing I can do other than to throw them away or keep them on the shelf and be constantly reminded of the quality money I wasted on them.

how to migrate from visafone to mtn

There's this old woman around where I stay, she uses one of those Visafone phones of old(I don't know if you remember them?), recently she came to meet me and she complained that she was trying to recharge her phone but it wasn't going through. Knowing that it had to do with the Visafone to Migration, I directed her to an MTN centre to do the migration.

 After the process, she successfully migrated her Sim card to the new GSM Sim . Then She tried inserting it into her several years old visafone device but Lo and Behold! It didn't work.

What this means is that she'd have to discard her which she has been using for a long time (I'm still wondering how she kept it for so long and it was in a good condition too!)

Similar cases have happened to other people across Nigeria too.

I know there's hardly anything that can be done about this problem, I just wanted y'all to know.

This has got to be my longest post EVER! however if you managed to read it till the end, I Appreciate You! *In DJ Khaled's voice*

Related Posts

0 comments:

Drop your comments and share your thoughts...